Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/05/2002 15:43:33
[ On Tuesday, March 5, 2002 at 10:25:51 (-0800), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
>
> The following patch adds a BUILDID variable to the build system
> which can be used to, you guessed it, identify specific builds.
>
> Mostly, it affects the objdir name, such that you end up with
> objdir names like "obj.${MACHINE}.${BUILDID}".

Hmmm....  a weird hack on top of a bad hack.  Does that make it anything
more than another bad hack?  Why do you want multiple objdir names?
Surely you don't keep your objects in your source trees do you?  Why not
just set BSDOBJDIR to a unique location per unique build?

I suppose having something like "USR_OBJBUILDID" to add on to the
existing USR_OBJMACHINE might be useful though -- eg if you have
multiple people doing multiple builds, and perhaps some cross-builds,
all on the same machine at the same time.

--
								Greg A. Woods