Subject: Re: mtree and builds
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/20/2002 11:16:37
The problem with checking is you now have divergent builds/build procedures
depending on where you're installing. If you have DESTDIR=/ and this checks
for it you now have to manually maintain your password file against src/etc's
copy and in all other cases you don't.

This definitly fails the principle of least surprise if I was someone new
coming along to build a system. build.sh will warn you about DESTDIR=/ but
the behavior of the build or it's outputs don't change otherwise.

James