Subject: Re: Proposed improvements to toolchain2netbsd and config.guess
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/14/2002 09:13:48
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> : 1) It's not quite right -- libbfd/arch/m68k/config.h still defines
> : VERSION twice. The native compiler lets that slide by, but an i386->
> : cross build fails.
>
> Hm.  Can you give some detail on this?  I've been working on replacing the
> cross case, as there's some very important problems that just doing
> "--target=" will exacerbate.

Please see PR 15514. The problem is that simply "cat"'ing two config.h
files together duplicates "#defines". The method currently in
toolchain2netbsd, of listing exceptions, requires ongoing maintenance.
Introducing a generic collating function, on the other hand, solves the
problem neatly, once and for all.

> In short, the configury needs to be done with --build= --host=, but there's
> more to that.  You'll see toolchain2netbsd disappear today, being replaced
> by src/tools/toolchain/mknative (which is half done in-tree at the moment),
> using this configuration method to produce the "native" build files.

Well then.

Frederick