Subject: Re: Proposed improvements to toolchain2netbsd and config.guess
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/14/2002 09:30:43
On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: 1) It's not quite right -- libbfd/arch/m68k/config.h still defines
: VERSION twice. The native compiler lets that slide by, but an i386->
: cross build fails.

Thanks; I'll look at this.

: 2) Many files get updated with no change except for the header.

Shouldn't happen as of quite a while ago; there's a heuristic check that
avoids overwriting if ony the file header is changes by grepping out the
header.

: 3) It starts out "building for m68k-unknown-netbsdelf1.5AZ, where
: history and bsd.own.mk prefers m68k--netbsdelf1.5AZ, leading to more
: spurious changes.

What spurious changes?  config.guess is not used for `real' configury
(there's an explicit --host=), so this might be simply an informational
message and not functionally different.

: A side-effect, is that all no-op comment blocks are removed.

This is actually a bad thing; we want the config.h files to be as close to
`real' config.h as possible for comparison purposes.

: config.guess now omits the vendor portion entirely, on all platforms,
: just like ${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM} in bsd.own.mk.

This goes against the standard config.guess style, so it shouldn't be
changed.  config.guess should use "unknown" as the vendor field if it is
irrelevant or not known.

(We use --host explicitly, since our ${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM} omits the OS
version number, and the omission of the vendor field is simply a convenience
in that case.)

: I'm not sure if it would still be OK on m68k/a.out (probably *not*),

No.  New toolchain builds for m68k are *ELF*.  When all is said and done,
some a.out compatibility may be re-added for old NetBSD releases (compiling
gcc out-of-the-box), but that's really low priority.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/