Subject: Re: Non "new-toolchain" platforms
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/07/2002 14:58:21
> So, cats and arm32 (SHARK) now have a way to make bootable kernels
> with the ELF toolchain (thanks Chris and Nick!).  As soon as -fshort-enums
> is dealt with, they can all switch.

Hmm, I've just been going over the ATPCS documentation again today.  It
appears to me that GCC (even gcc-3.x) may not yet be doing the right thing
for ATPCS structure returns (the existing code is basically the old APCS
specification).

The ATPCS says that all single-word (or smaller) aggregates are returned
in r0.  This is a much simpler (and efficient) definition than is
currently implemented in the compiler.

I'm continuing to work through the document, other issues may yet arrise.

R.