Subject: a new GCC extension for protecting programs from stack smashing bugs....
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/06/2002 21:49:28
I would REALLY like to try using this GCC extension to debug the
XsunMono bug I've been troubled with lately:

	http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/

From my research into techniques for debugging stack smashing this seems
to be the most advanced tool yet.  It's almost exactly what I've been
dreaming about, and even more as it has many minor advantages that take
it beyond what StackGuard(TM), etc., can do -- only problem is that it
doesn't seem to be all that easy to get working with the NetBSD compiler
(though hopefully I'm mistaken about this!).

I'd sure appreciate help from anyone familiar with NetBSD's gcc,
especially for the sparc processor.

--
								Greg A. Woods