Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/29/2001 17:14:38
[ On Thursday, November 29, 2001 at 16:09:08 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
>
> Actually, this was worked around by setting USETOOLS=no in
> pkgsrc/mk/bsd.prefs.mk.  It's not the responsibility of <bsd.own.mk> to deal
> for this unusual filesystem layout.

Well, I guess hard-whacking it is one way to do it!  ;-)

Is the propagation of USETOOLS=no from the pkgsrc makefile to a package
using *BSD makefiles done (I'm assuming so) and is that sufficient?

> Because a large number of users do not set BSDSRCDIR properly, or use it at
> all.  (The only place where BSDSRCDIR is actually *used* by the build
> system, aside from being a fallback for _SRC_TOP_, is for the
> BSDSRCDIR/BSDOBJDIR obj rewrites in <bsd.obj.mk>.  These rules aren't used
> by everyone.)

Ah, I see.  It has been necessary in the few scenarios I've done a
build in, and the documentation for it is quite explicit, so.....  :-)

> : extremely non-descript file named 'build.sh' (and a similarly
> : non-descript directory named 'tools')
>
> This will be made much more robust and easy to identify, as I've already
> stated earlier in the thread.

OK, good enough then.  It's still too bad everyone isn't forced to set
BSDSRCDIR properly....  :-)

> : I'm beginning to think /etc/mk.conf should only be used for things in
> : <sys.mk> and that all <bsd.*.mk> stuff should look first for a mk.conf
> : file in ${BSDSRCDIR} just like pkgsrc now uses a relative
> : 'bsd.pkg.defaults.mk' file.
>
> mk.conf isn't used by <sys.mk> at all.  It's only used by things which
> include <bsd.own.mk>.

Ah, yes, of course.  I think it might still be nice to _eventually_ have
a per-tree "mk.conf" kind of file for setting build-time parameters,
particularly once it's possible to do an entire cross-build without
being root.

--
							Greg A. Woods