Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/29/2001 12:51:47
So using this logic you'd also download something like gcc and then start
dropping your random source into

gcc/*

? (it will break you if you setup a cross compiler in there then since it'll
put as/ld links into that directory..)

That's acting the same way here...Just because the current source tree has
never broken in this way before is no reason to expect that littering the
system source tree with your own stuff won't cause you to have side effects.

If you really wanna keep /usr/src as your "netbsd source area" then treat it
as it's laid out internally: pkgsrc, src (a cvs alias for the 3-4 top level
areas), xsrc.

i.e.

/usr/src/src
/usr/src/xsrc
/usr/src/pkgsrc

or whatever other layout you want. But cross breeding them together isn't
likely to always work well...

James