Subject: re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/29/2001 10:44:01

   pkgsrc can go anywhere you like; it's the "src" tree that has restrictions.
   As I said before, it's not unreasonable to expect anything residing
   underneath "src" to be compiled with the same methodology as the rest of the
   NetBSD base system source tree.

   pkgsrc is *NOT* a component of "src" and should not reside under "src".
   This is not an articfact of the new toolchain -- it's just something that
   people have lucked out on in the past.  I've specifically never put "pkgsrc"
   under "src" because I knew from the start that is would be a _broken_ setup
   if done that way.

so, why have we been telling people it's OK to put pkgsrc under src
for N years?

while i agree with what you're saying, the fact is that there are
going to be a bunch of people who have things setup this way.