Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 15:47:02
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:

> The default for USETOOLS is `no' outside
> of the tree or when building kerbels, and `yes' when building inside a
> complete `src' tree.  This magic is in <bsd.own.mk>.

I see. I'm still not convinced that it's desirable to use the
first-stage compiler for the case of updating just a single program, but
that's been discussed to death already, so whatever.

> : > Now, why DESTDIR was being picked up for gr is unrelated to this, as his
> : > pkgsrc was located outside of src.  It's probably the BSD Makefile issue you
> : > described above.
> :
> : It shouldn't hurt anything to add BSD_PKG_MK to ${MAKE_ENV}, if that's
> : what's required.
>
> Right, but as I said, I don't know whether this would harm people too.  It's
> my gut feeling that it'd be better to turn off everything guarded by
> BSD_PKG_MK in mk.conf, but I wonder if that might exclude some compile
> options that the builder may actually want.

I'm not sure I follow you. No third party app is going to recognize
BSD_PKG_MK itself, anyway, so passing it into the package build
environment will simply tend to meet users expectations as far as
setting up "/etc/mk.conf" is concerned. "bsd.own.mk" shouldn't care
about it.

Frederick