Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 11:14:30
--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 02:32:59AM -0500, James Chacon wrote:
> DESTDIR has always had this problem. If you set it your files will install
> into that base, pkgsrc or not.

But that's precisely the bug I was told to use a #ifndef BSD_PKG_MK
to avoid!

It's really NOT okay for both src and pkgsrc to be looking at this
file if settings for one cause breakage in the other. Either, there
needs to be a clearly defined way to keep the settings separate (I
thought there was, apparently it isn't always obeyed) or pkgsrc
should have it's own, separate mk.conf (pkgsrc/etc? pkgsrc/mk?).

> If you set USETOOLS=3Dyes, the new toolchain bits will be enabled for any=
thing
> which uses the system .mk files. (this does include some bits in pkgsrc).
> That's why letting the defaults for the var do the right thing is general=
ly
> better.=20
>=20
> It's not going to do that to you by default if you're not inside of /usr/=
src
> (or whereever you put it). Just like setting any of the other vars will c=
hange
> behavior (like you found out with DESTDIR)

That's great, but it shouldn't be doing it in pkgsrc at all. I may
have a good reason to set stuff in /etc/mk.conf if I'm working with
the development tree. I shouldn't get screwed on using packages on
my development machine because of it. The point of packages is that
they "just work".

I assure that I understand what's going wrong and (now) why it's
going wrong. I'm not saying that I expected different behavior out
of either USETOOLS or DESTDIR. I'm saying that I expected the
mechanism for keeping their effects out of pkgsrc to work. It
doesn't. Or, at least, not always.

And yes, I see that that's because packages don't necessarily (need
to) source bsd.pkg.mk, which means that BSD_PKG_MK doesn't get set
(since its semblance is "this file was sourced", actually, not
"you're building a package"). But there still needs to be something
for users to use the way I was using BSD_PKG_MK.

Does this belong on tech-pkg at this point?

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--