Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 02:32:59
>> Don't set USETOOLS=3Dyes...The build system will set it for you by defaul=
>t.
>> By setting it explictly to yes you are forcing the toolchain to be used
>> by anything which may happen to use the system make files.
>
>Yeah, I saw the conversation about that today (er, yesterday, in my
>TZ), but I haven't even attempted to do a build since I read it,
>so I hadn't bothered to change it.  (I'm aware of that, though.)
>
>Note that commenting only USETOOLS in my /etc/mk.conf does not fix
>the package building problem; DESTDIR also gets in the way. So, just
>the fact that the new toolchain's gotten past needing USE* set
>doesn't make this go away.

DESTDIR has always had this problem. If you set it your files will install
into that base, pkgsrc or not.

>> Ok...you can set it like that but the behavior you're seeing is what it's
>> supposed to do in that case.
>
>Huh? Well, sure, using the nbmake wrapper, but that behavior isn't
>supposed to happen within pkgsrc, as I understood things. Shouldn't
>packages that don't source bsd.pkg.mk at least set sanity values
>like this? (If so, I'll do a send-pr on apla.)

If you set USETOOLS=yes, the new toolchain bits will be enabled for anything
which uses the system .mk files. (this does include some bits in pkgsrc).
That's why letting the defaults for the var do the right thing is generally
better.

It's not going to do that to you by default if you're not inside of /usr/src
(or whereever you put it). Just like setting any of the other vars will change
behavior (like you found out with DESTDIR)

James