Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 04:28:31
    Date:        Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:43:22 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>

  | If you have items to add, please let me know so that I may update this list.
  | There are some bug reports that came in over the long (USA) weekend, and are
  | not reflected in this update, but these will be covered by the "Some
  | additional minor fixes and cleanups" bulleted item below.

One minor issue - the code which figures out that you're in the source
tree, and automatically uses the tools (on appropriate ports of course)
has broken my setup - which I don't think is too uncommon.

That is, I have pkgsrc under /usr/src.   I compile pkgsrc/* stuff all
the time, but don't necessarily do system builds.   After a drive death
on a system (i386), I was reinstalling the world, after the kernel sources,
pkgsrc came next, and stuff was building just fine.   Then I imported
the rest of the sources (including build.sh and the tools directory)
and pkgsrc builds all broke at once.

That's because they now wanted to use the new tools compiler, which didn't
exist (nothing had ever run build.sh to create it, and I'm not in a great
hurry on that system to do that - just building all the useful pkgsrc stuff
takes long enough)...

Easy to get around by setting USETOOLS=no (or one of those with a similar
effect, I forget which I used, and I'm not near that system at the minute),
but it would probably be a good idea if as well as testing whether
build.sh exists, and the tools dir exists, a check was also made that the
tools have actually been built, before just blindly attempting to use them.

The sources I used came from early in the weekend (US time, early Sat).
It is possible something has been changed since then, though I haven't seen
any commits that look relevant.

kre

ps: moving pkgsrc from /usr/src/pkgsrc to /usr/pkgsrc (which I know that
some people use) makes no sense for me, I have /usr ro, and just the right
size for a /usr partition (plus a little for growth in to the future).
All sources belong in /usr/src (xsrc as well).