Subject: Re: nbmake size and path issue
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/26/2001 15:31:41
> You run with
> PATH=.:$PATH
> ?

Not quite that simple, but yes, with . first in my path.  On a couple
of machines.

> That's

> 1. Asking for security problems galore.  If you honestly beleive
>    having . anywhere in your path is somehow not a security
>    problem.....

And just what "security problems galore" do you believe it is "asking
for"?  The only one I know of is tripping over Trojan horses.

> 2. Impossible for the build stuff to accurately deal with.

Exactly the problem that started this thread off.

> I guess just adding a note to BUILDING which states that we presume a
> sane path with all the system dirs are before any uses of . and that
> . in the path is never recommended anyways.

Well, I'd cut the polemic, but if we don't have volunteer time to fix
the tools for this situation, we may just have to document it as an
unsupported configuration and let it go at that.

That's why I asked what "much much more" it was going to break, because
in my experience, there is nothing.  So far, I haven't heard of
anything but (a) triggering Trojan horses and (b) the build breakage
that the thread started off with.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign