Subject: Re: two more bugs perry doesn't want to admit exists
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/25/2001 04:12:26

>>> cd /data3/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf && /www/obj/tool/bin/nbconfig  -b /data3/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC -s /data3/netbsd/src/sys GENERIC
>>> config: cannot create /data3/netbsd/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC: Read-only file system
>>> *** Error code 2
>>>
>>> (perry doesn't think this never happened before, but prior to having to use
>>>  the new toolchain, it worked)
>
>>I don't see how this could ever have worked before, if
>
>I must admit its been over a year since I've done any full netbsd tree
>builds - but back then, when I introduced bsd.kernobj.mk, you could indeed
>build a full tree including kernels off a read-only src.
>
>That's assuming you use MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX or some suitable magic
>in MAKEOBJDIR, since anyother approach relies on being able to create
>obj* dirs/links within the src tree.

That's the issue. I don't think folks quite get that without MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX
being set the make build/release cycle won't try and put them into their
objdir heirarchy.

It probably should check MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and MAKEOBJDIR to remain consistant
to both vars. (That's whats tripping people up right now).

I'll add something to that effect in the morning if no one else has looked
at it.

James