Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc/share/mk
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/31/2001 16:31:27
>> Actually, a top-level objdir (not the default TOOLDIR underneath it) would
>> probably be most appropriate here.

>Yes, except that there isn't a good way to put an objdir in a non-leaf
>directory in an instance like this. It would require more Makefile
>hacking than would be nice. (I know, I looked at doing it this
>weekend.)

If you use things like MAKEOBJDIR, you get a top-level objdir for free.
If you take the leap to using shell magic (eg a wrapper script - like build.sh
or the nbmake-foo's that it also generates), you can do all sorts of
clever stuff - like building multiple target arches in one tree with
a separate objtree for host-tools.

--sjg