Subject: re: Longstanding bug in "make -I ..."
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/31/2001 13:06:13
   It seems that we have a holdover all the way from rev. 1.1 of
   src/usr.bin/make/parse.c that causes make(1) to use the -I paths even for
   "system" makefile includes in <angle brackets>.  All -I does is put the
   include path higher up in precedence than the -m's.

   I can fix this trivially.  However, the thing I wonder is whether this would
   be a Bad Thing.  We've used "make -m" extensively for all kinds of things,
   and that behavior won't change; however, is there anyone out there who
   actually uses "make -I" to override the system makefile include path?

   Currently, .include "foo" and .include <foo> are identical, and that's
   probably not a good thing.

hmmm, i don't see why -I isn't doing what is currently documented?

.mrg.