Subject: Re: Toolchain status list (30-Oct-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/30/2001 11:13:03
On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:41:48PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

 > - Change sparc installboot to use magicwords instead of nlist(3) walking to
 >   find the block number table; would permit cross-installboot easily [thorpej]

This is "done".  That is, the SPARC installboot(8) now uses a bbinfo
structure, rather than nlist(3).

There are a few things left to do, here:

	(1) Hunt down all other installboot(8) programs that still use
	    nlist(3) and make the same modification.

	(2) Make sure the installboot(8) programs byte-swap as necessary
	    (I did this in the SPARC installboot(8), using ntohl() and
	    htonl(), since the SPARC is network-byte-order).

	(3) Make the libsa loadfile() routine, which is used by
	    installboot(8) programs, cross-tool safe.  That is,
	    we need explicit elf32 and elf64 versions, as well
	    as appropriate byte-swapping based on the target.