Subject: Re: CVS commit: sharesrc/share/mk
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/28/2001 18:00:29
I agree completely. If the default is yes, the check for $TOOLDIR should
be inside the usage of USETOOLS and shouldn't be the determining factor in
turning on USETOOLS.

I've had builds act "weird" just in forgetting to set my $DESTDIR sometimess.

The last thing I'd want is to not have $TOOLDIR set and get
possible compiler/assembler/lint/make/etc (just to make 4 tools that have
changed and required UPDATING notes) errors to debug. By silently turning
off USETOOLS if $TOOLDIR is unset this is exactly what you'd get. Behaviors
should be explicit here, not implicit.

James