Subject: Re: Problem in new toolchain builds (need comments)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/23/2001 21:07:59

>On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, James Chacon wrote:
>
>: When USETOOLS's gets set in bsd.own.mk (basically via USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN right
>: now but eventually as the default on all platforms) it overrides all the
>: toolchain vars to reference the ones in $TOOLDIR.
>
>: It specifically doesn't set TOOLDIR if BSD_PKG_MK is set. However, that doesn't
>: work....
>:
>: What about source that uses the system .mk files (say bsd.prog.mk) to build
>: themselves.
>
>I was thinki9ng about just this issue yesterday, and there is a simpler
>solution than even what you provided.  Since USETOOLS=yes is intended to be
>used with top-level builds, and USETOOLS=no with one-off or partial tree
>builds, it's actually rather easy to default it to "no" in bsd.own.mk and
>set it, with MAKEFLAGS propagation, in src/Makefile.

That completely defeats the current ability to do

cd usr.bin/vi
make

and have it DTRT...Having to remember to set X number of new vars just to
get a build working is fairly silly and prone to failure.

>I'll make the appropriate change and document it in the toolchain design doc
>that will be checked in this evening.

Please do not do this...If it breaks current expected basic build process
then it needs to be rethought more cleanly.

The whole point of this should be to integrate the cross type toolchain
without forcing people building just s sub segment of the tree to remember
which N env vars to set just to test some changes properly.

James