Subject: Re: mklocale, take 2
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/22/2001 20:28:24
    Date:        Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:55:23 -0400 (EDT)
    From:        der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

  | (2) is the argument that was being "recycled" ((1) is certainly valid,
  | even to the tech-toolchain discussion, but wasn't mentioned in this
  | connection), and it applies just as strongly to __attribute__.

While I mostly dislike all GNU extensions to almost everything, and have
trouble digesting most of RMS's arguments about almost anything, are you
really certain about that?    C #defines can generate just about anything,
other than other C preprocessor statements.

  | Struct packing, as the
  | discussion has pointed out, shouldn't be ignored.)

That's simply wrong.   Any code that depends upon struct packing, or
anything related to alignment, for anything related to code correctness
(as distinct from efficiency) is simply broken.

This stuff all related to mklocale I think, which seems to simply be
terminally broken as currently implemented (and admitted to be that way).

Eventually it should be fixed so whatever method of getting packed structs
might happen to apply, or not apply, it still works correctly.

kre