Subject: Re: build.sh issues.
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/21/2001 19:48:01
On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, James Chacon wrote:

: >Set MKOBJDIRS=yes in /etc/mk.conf (or wherever MAKECONF is set to in the
: >environment).  This is part of "make build"....
:
: Actually the one big area it needs to pay attention here is if one has
: the various *OBJ vars set then the bootstrap bmake build needs to use them.

Actually, the bootstrap bmake build works Hard not to create any .o's in
non-temporary space.  It tries to compile with cwd=/tmp (I've changed that
to use /tmp/$$, to be added in my next commit), using TMPDIR as an override,
and then nukes all the .o's once compiled (most sane compilers won't even
create .o's in the cwd).  The cc command invoked to build bmake uses "-o
$TOOLDIR/bin/bmake" so as to compile right to the destination.

This way MKOBJ and MKOBJDIRS can be relegated to mk.conf without harm.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/