Subject: Re: Toolchain status list (17-Oct-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/17/2001 10:15:00
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:53:52PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:

 > The following items have been implemented but need some fixes before
 > they will be commitable; they should appear in-tree within 48 hours.
 >
 >  - Add cross-groff, cross-menuc/msgc, cross-crunchide/mdsetimage (bfd
 >    based), and tools/crunchgen

You do NOT need a cross-crunchide!  We have already discussed this -- the
new objcopy works just fine, and James already changed crunchgen to use
it ... crunchhide should simply die.  Also, tools/crunchgen is already
there -- James already fixed this.  In fact, from your list there:

	menuc
	msgc
	crunchgen
	crunchhide (by virtue of being obsolete)

are already done.

...and James is already working on the split sets.

 >  - Fix ld.elf_so to work with newer MP-safe PLT format on alpha
 >    (and change gcc/bfd/ld to use it on systems that are capable)

"thread-safe", not "MP-safe" :-)  This is quite easy, if you ignore
backwards compatibility (I have a diff which should do it).  But we
need to detect which PLT format is being used on a per-shared object
basis, and use the correct one.  That's a little harder.

 >  - Investigate why the "new" nop/unop sequence on alpha gives us pipeline
 >    caching issues (this has been an issue since binutils 2.9.x)

"pipeline caching issues"... err, can you explain exactly what the symptom
is when the new sequence is used?

 >  - General clean up of build system, particularly toolchain2netbsd

Note that the last time I ran the script on the Alpha, it totally lost
when trying to configure gprof -- guess we need to make sure profiling
support is there everywhere...