Subject: Re: Toolchain status list
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/05/2001 12:46:47
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, James Chacon wrote:

: > - Fix automatic kernel builds from "make release" on some platforms
:
: Which platforms are having issues? I can easily tackle this.

Basically, thorpej reported some problems when attempting to use the cross
tools to compile kernels.  I haven't investigated in depth yet.

: > - Create tools build procedure for other tools needed on non-NetBSD hosts
: >   (and verify buildability on Cygwin, Solaris/x86, and Linux)
:
: I've got crunchgen, crunchide, msgc and menuc done and will check that support
: in shortly.

Do *not* check in a non-bfd crunchide into src/tools.  That is not a
cross-platform capable tool.  8-)

(If you wouldn't mind, could you please send me a tarball of your files that
you have added to src/tools before committing?)

: Groff is the only other nasty one beyond locale issues that I saw.

Yah.  "cross-groff" is going to be built from GNU build processes just like
toolchain and texinfo.

: To support non-native builds a primer probably also needs to be written
: which lists dependencies (you need a C and C++ compiler, make, and posix
: compatible userland, etc).

Actually, you should only need a C compiler, make, and POSIXish system, but
some tools will need compatibility hacked into them to make this happen
(this is a high priority task directly from my employer).  I'll add an item
for "document cross build environment requirements".

: > - Create somewhat better strategy for "cleandir" in tools
:
: It's not real obvious on how some of that works when I'd cleandir in a tool
: and it would refuse to rebuild.

These points aren't related; my bulleted item has to do with investigating
whether descending from top level into "tools" on cleandir was a good idea.

The tools build has a very special method of rebuilding -- it allows tools
to be cleandir'd, but still not rebuilt unless the tool was actually
updated.  There's special timestamp checks involved, as well as a
three-state MKTOOLS (no/yes/always).  If you always want the tools rebuilt,
you can set MKTOOLS=always.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/