Subject: Re: Changes to crunchgen
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/04/2001 02:28:21
>On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:22:25PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
> > I'll need to coordinate with you on this, as the new toolchain will
> > eventually use *only* bfd-{crunchide,mdsetimage} in the build, coming from
> > src/tools.  At that point, the `native' versions of these will be
> > disabled/redundant.
>
>crunchgen != crunchhide.
>
>Anyway, we should shoot crunchhide in the head, instead using a feature
>present in new objcopy versions (symbol renaming).

Ok, I looked into this. Should be as simple as:

objcopy -S -K <sym> <obj file>

and this actually works perfectly fine with the new objcopy. It however
fails miserably on the older one we have. (of course the man page claims
otherwise but...). I either end up with all symbols or no symbols. There
isn't any middle ground thats easily popping out.

In any case for now I'm going to locally cleanup crunchgen.c to actually
use the real bsd.prog rules (otherwise the link step will fail if you use
the new toolchain). This will be setup to use objcopy as soon as the ports
are ready to go. (Unless I can manage to make the current objcopy somehow
do what I want).

James