Subject: Snapshot builds broken for how much longer?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/01/2001 01:46:41
The partial integration of the new toolchain has left snapshot/release
builds broken for a while now, because the base and comp distribution
sets don't know about the new toolchain nor the absence thereof.

I'm curious how much longer this will be left broken.  Obviously, the
effort that went into the new toolchain work is laudable, but I'm
left with the feeling that I shouldn't tinker with this collateral
damage myself because there's work in progress, while at the same time
I have no idea how much longer it will be until that progress materializes.

Meanwhile, I'd like to build a snapshot so other people can try out some
of the UBC performance fixes.  Any light at the end of the tunnel WRT
new toolchain related lossage in the build system?  Should I start whacking
things myself?  There are obvious ways to fix the lossage with the sets,
but they're pretty ugly -- for example, splitting out a large number of
files from the MI to MD file for each set.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron