Subject: Re: getting starting with powerpc and the tool chain
To: None <josh@ssimr.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/09/2001 11:42:55
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 josh@ssimr.com wrote:

> I became aware of the existence of both the Toolchain and the
> tech-toolchain list after I realized I wanted to avoid the package
> system, not because there is anything wrong with it - I would rather
> compile stuff, and that I was having trouble getting some things I

	Just a note that the package system is designed to make it
	very easy to compile from source...

> wanted to use to compile. I'm using NetBSD 1.5.1 on a PowerMacinstosh
> 6500/300 with a 603e (I think) powerpc processor. The stuff I would
> like to compile consists mostly of FSF software or software that would
> compile better with the full complement of current tools available - I
> want the full GCC (all the compilers) and I would also want to run
> GCL. I was able to get some of the tools to compile simply by
> downloading them from the Gnu site and compiling them, though this
> does not work with big programs.
>
> I downloaded the "gnu" directory, /pub/NetBSD-current/src/gnu to a
> local directory /a/gnu so I'd have it.

	That is the set of gnu licenced tools used in the NetBSD base
	system, in various cases tweaked specifically for NetBSD.

> I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I may have missed some
> documentation. Feel free to tell me to RTFM as long as you include the
> URL for the FM. Does it need to be moved to /usr/src/gnu to work? Do I
> have to compile each program separately? Do they all work under
> powerpc architechture?

	If you want to run the 'current' gnu tools you need to upgrade
	the entire system to current.
	http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/current.html

	As it happens the toolchain is being reworked to make this a lot
	easier and to update to more recent gcc and binutils. Hopefully
	there should be an announcement soon...

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --