Subject: Re: our libstdc++.so.3 vs GCC 3.0
To: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/01/2001 12:25:11
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Nick Hudson wrote:

: > : GCC 3.0 defaults to building a shared libstdc++ on many platforms, and the
: > : version number of this shlib is 3.  we unfortunately have called our
: > : egcs 1.1.2-based libstdc++ .so.3, so this conflicts... it's quite annoying,
: > : as programs linked against $gcc-prefix/lib/libstdc++.so runtime link with
: > : /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3, unless explicit ld -rpath/LD_LIBRARY_PATH are used.

: > There may be ways around this, not the least of which is to twiddle the
: > -soname in the libstdc++ being used for our in-tree 2.95 (since the in-tree
: > 2.95 build isn't part of any official NetBSD release yet).  I'll get back to
: > you.
:
: How does this work with a.out? Or is the idea to kill a.out before the
: release that contains 2.95?

Well, a.out users may need to be a little smarter, and there's other
possible remedies ... I just don't have time to tackle this immediately
because I'm struggling with the last bits of in-tree bfd (mainly, gdb) now.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/