Subject: Re: our libstdc++.so.3 vs GCC 3.0
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/01/2001 12:06:33
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, matthew green wrote:

: so, i think we're screwed.
:
: GCC 3.0 defaults to building a shared libstdc++ on many platforms, and the
: version number of this shlib is 3.  we unfortunately have called our
: egcs 1.1.2-based libstdc++ .so.3, so this conflicts... it's quite annoying,
: as programs linked against $gcc-prefix/lib/libstdc++.so runtime link with
: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3, unless explicit ld -rpath/LD_LIBRARY_PATH are used.

You mean gcc doesn't use the -release libtool option like all those other
braindead GNU projects do?

GCC isn't the only program that has been afflicted by this.  There's
openssl, for instance; others that I can't remember off the top of my head
(where a pkgsrc shlib version and a standalone shlib version conflicted).

There may be ways around this, not the least of which is to twiddle the
-soname in the libstdc++ being used for our in-tree 2.95 (since the in-tree
2.95 build isn't part of any official NetBSD release yet).  I'll get back to
you.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/