Subject: Tell me how to set up my system
To: tool chain list <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: None <josh@ssimr.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/21/2001 23:04:28
I'm not sure if this is the right list for what I want so bear with
me. Or just delete the message.

I have a NetBSD 1.5 running on a PowerMacintosh 6500/300.

I want to be able to (1) compile kernels and (2) use current versions
the GNU tools and programming languages that I'm used to.

I had tried to use the versions of GNU tools from GNU mirrors. I think
these are the same programs that are meant by "tool-chain." Some
prorgrams compiled and worked but none of the really big ones
(GCC,GCL) worked. In general I simply built everything in /usr/local

I was told I could get the code to build a new system at

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-5/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz

At some point I found a directory containing distribution of gnu code:
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/gnu

How can I take advantage of it. I tried to use the Make file at the
head etc. it didn't work. Where can I find out the scheme to use. It
seems that the makefiles by default would put things in /usr/ instead
of /usr/local. It doesn't really matter where it puts it - I'm the
only user to speak of.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@ssimr.com