Subject: re: WARNING: -current toplevel build process changing!
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/02/2001 12:16:19
On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: If the native build system utilized something like this, I think users trying
: to do source upgrades would be much better off.  Yes, it takes longer to build
: a system using something like crosscomp, and if the tree switches to a method
: like that, it's going to take more time, but by building all the tools first..

Right, but the build harness is being set up such that tools will only be
rebuilt if they are out-of-date.  It's doing this by comparing datestamp on
the *installed* binary, so a "make cleandir" in src/tools does not imply
rebuilding the tools the next time around.  I want to minimize the "more
time" part of this concept.

(Yes, you can also force-build all the tools manually if desired, for
situations like "I've updated the whole of my base system and want to update
the tools to link against the newest libc....")

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/