Subject: Re: soft-float builds
To: David Querbach <querbach@realtime.bc.ca>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/31/2001 14:14:26
David Querbach wrote:

> > What I was thinking was something along the lines of a
> >
> > 	MKSOFTFLOAT=	yes|no
> >
> > make variable, which would do things like add "-msoft-float" to the CC
> > and CXX (and FC?) variables, and be used in the libc/arch/* makefiles
> > (or even just libc/Makefile) to enable softfloat support in libc.
> >
> > Any comments on this, or better ways to do it?
>
> Good idea; this would avoid a certain amount of hacking in my
> (too-long-promised) mpc8xx port.  Can we also have a preprocessor symbol as
> well (perhaps _SOFT_FLOAT)?

My recently discussed "%{msoft-float: -D_SOFT_FLOAT}" CPPSPEC change
has been committed to both the main NetBSD source tree and the
powerpc cross-compiler in pkgsrc.  There are some uses of that symbol
(<powerpc/stdarg.h> and some of the libc FP routines come to mind right
away).

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/