Subject: Re: duplicate texinfo distribution?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/07/2001 09:10:16
On Mon, 7 May 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:

: > The first one is the one we use for the texinfo built from
: > src/gnu/usr.bin/texinfo.  The second one is used by (and required by) a
: > build of a cross-toolchain environment from src/gnu/dist/toolchain.
: >
: > These are different entities with different purposes.
:
: I see. I just don't understand why -- it's (nearly) the same
: source.

Because the [cross-]toolchain, and our supplied texinfo, may not be updated
at the same rate.  The "toolchain" directory is very specifically for the
use of generating gcc, gdb, and binutils only, when compiling natively (and
we'll be switching to that compiler in -current about midweek, eliminating
the "extra" copy).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/