Subject: Re: make: ReadMakefile
To: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/16/2000 10:34:18
>> Figured I should poll a wider audience...
>> I'm planning to modify our ReadMakefile so that it behaves the same as
>> freebsd's which seems more correct.  As is, given:
>>
>> src/obj/Makefile
>> src/Makefile

>Hmm, where is this used ?

Sorry I should have been more specific.

usr.bin/gdb/obj/Makefile

I think that is a cygnus thing.  Freebsd imported it like that since
their make does not blow up on it - ours does.

>If build is using such generated Makefiles, it breaks without obj
>dirs, doesn't it ?

We are not talking about a generated Makefile, we are talking about
someone wanting a subdir called obj and not have it treated as magic.
While that sounds silly to us, it is an issue when importing things
like gdb.

>> freebsd will read src/Makefile which has it simply
>> 	cd obj && ${MAKE}

>How does the Makefile handle non-obj dirs build ? I probably prefer
>to have the magic in make(1) than individual Makefiles.

Nothing in any of our tree is affected one way or the other (as far
as I can tell), everything works as it should.  Right now, our make
will

cd obj
read Makefile
and expect it to relate to curdir when it might not.  That's a bug.

Hope that helps
--sjg