Subject: Re: gcc/binutils/gdb import proposal
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/22/2000 10:35:48
Hi Todd.
I haven't seen any messages from you about this for a while (maybe I
missed something - I've been a little out of touch lately).  I for one am
really excited about your work in this area.  Whats the status on this?

Thanks a lot!
	Rick

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 16:32:27 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
> To: tech-toolchain@netbsd.org
> Subject: gcc/binutils/gdb import proposal
>
> Here's a revision of the toolchain update layout, available for comment.
> No date is yet set for the import, as I do anticipate several comments.  8^)
>
> Note that this will require careful importing, for which I'll create some
> scripts to make the job less human-error-prone--and have a checked-in text
> file documenting the procedures for the future (...so we don't end up with a
> frazzled mess like we have now in gnu/dist).
>
> ***** SOURCE LAYOUT *****
>
> gnusrc/gnu/dist/toolchain/
>
>     Top level directory.  This keeps the tools that can be built
>     as a "bulk cross-tools unit" together.
>
>     The files in this directory, and in config/, will be taken on a
>     datestamped basis from source.redhat.com:/cvs/src
>     (formerly sourceware.cygnus.com).  This keeps us as up to date as
>     possible with config.guess and the other "non-source-specific" files.
>
>     Once integrated, a complete set of cross tools should be creatable
>     on any host platform simply by using this directory tree.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/dist/toolchain/{gcc,contrib,INSTALL,install,
>                            libio,libstdc++,libobjc,libchill,libf2c}
>
>     These will come from gcc-2.95.2, and track gcc versions.
>
>     The testsuites will be imported, and a test Makefile structure
>     created to make use of them.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/dist/toolchain/{libjava,boehm-gc,zip}
>
>     These will come from libgcj-2.95.1, and track libgcj as it is updated
>     alongside gcc.  This will use the NetBSD-supplied zlib.  I am
>     researching the license on a "minizip" program to allow for the creation
>     of the zip (jar) files with zlib without needing the infozip code.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/dist/toolchain/{bfd,opcodes,gas,ld,gprof,include,libiberty}
>
>     These will come from binutils-2.10.  The testsuites will be imported.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/dist/toolchain/{gdb,sim}
>
>     These will come from gdb-5.0.  gdb will use libedit's readline
>     emulation.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/frontend/{cc,c++,cpp,c89,fort77,gcj}
> gnusrc/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/backend/{collect2,common,cc1,cc1plus,cc1obj,f771,jc1}
> gnusrc/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/runtime/{libgcc,libgccP,libgcj,libstdc++,
>                                 libobjc,libchill}
>
>     Build structure for gcc-2.95.2.  "libgcc" is compiled -fpic;
>     "libgccP" is compiled -fPIC, only on platforms needing an alternate.
>
>     This layout comes from several requests to group gcc's build structure
>     into one top-level tree.
>
> gnusrc/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/{addr2line,ar,as,c++filt,common,gprof,ld,nm,
>                              objcopy,objdump,ranlib,size,strings,strip,
>                              libbfd,libopcodes,gdb}
>
>     Build structure for binutils-2.10 and gdb-5.0.  gdb is grouped here
>     based on two factors (grouping of the libbfd-using programs, and the
>     fact that Cygnus/Redhat actually maintains binutils and gdb together
>     in the same source tree).
>
>     Note the split of libbfd and libopcodes; some binutils tools
> [...]

----
Rick Byers - rickb@BigScaryChildren daugt net
University of Waterloo, Computer Science
Ontario, Canada