Subject: Extra WARNS level for -Wall?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/18/2000 11:25:54
I found out while compiling vi under the format auditing that since vi
wasn't using WARNS=1, there were a handful of LP64 varargs bugs in the code.

I'd like to add one more level to WARNS, bumping the existing two up one
number.  This would allow the majority of code to use -Wall, even though
some of the contributed code doesn't follow the strict prototyping rules of
the rest of NetBSD.

WARNS=0 (or undefined): No extra -W options; just -Werror.
WARNS=1: Add -Wall -Wpointer-arith (and currently -Wno-uninitialized).
WARNS=2: Add -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes.
WARNS=3: Add a bunch of verbose checks that are currently under WARNS=2.

Opinions?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/