Subject: Re: c++ failing on 1.4.3/i386
To: None <martin@duskware.de>
From: Shin'ichiro TAYA <taya@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/16/2000 16:16:38
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 08:56:42 +0200 (MEST)

> > This is because libgcc linked twice.
>
> This is the case too for simple test apps I tried (which work).
>
> Isn't the linker supposed to manage duplicate -l items?
>
> > Apply this patch instead of patch in pkgsrc to add -nodefaultlibs.
>
> I don't like that way, because this is a "simple" c++ application with
> shared libs. It should work, and it shouldn't need to turn the internas
> of our toolchain upside down.
>
> So what is the real cause for the problem here and what is the right
> way (TM) to fix it?

Technically, I agree with you.
I think this is a problem of toolchain.
But I thought 1.4.2 is a last version of a.out system for i386 and no
one maintain a.out system for i386.
And I thought there is no chance to fix this problem.
So I add -nodefaultlibs to avoid this problem.
If there is a chance to fix this problem in 1.4.3, I wish this problem
is fixed.
If not, -nodefaultlibs should be added to DSO_LDOPTS.