Subject: Re: ldd /usr/lib/lib*.so vs. ldd /usr/pkg/lib/lib*.so
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/10/2000 21:32:42
On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 04:24:16AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Why do I have to add -lcrypto manually when linking with libssl?
> Can't we make libssl pull in libcrypto automatically?
> Looking at output of 'ldd /usr/lib/lib*.so' vs. 'ldd /usr/pkg/lib/lib*.so'
> leads me to think that there's something missing in the base system...
> What is it?
	What's missing is the functionality in ld to remeber that the final
binary it creates needs to be linked with everything that any library it
links against says it links with.  Linkers from other OSes do this, but
we don't.
	This problem has been mentioned several times, but no one has done
anything about it yet.

eric