Subject: Re: ELF ld problem
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/29/2000 10:10:26
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Scott Bartram wrote:

: I'm debugging dladdr() and dlsym() on 1.5ALPHA2. I've narrowed down the
: problem to the fact that certain symbols found in the symbol table (Elf_Sym)
: are not present in the dynamic table (Elf_Dyn). For example, main().
:
: This breaks dladdr() and dlsym() and is not the same behaviour as Solaris
: or FreeBSD.

Did you remember to use -Wl,-E (aka -Wl,--export-dynamic) when linking the
main program?  (Note that -rdynamic may also work, depending on what vintage
your compiler is.)

The symbols in the main program won't show up as available to dlsym()
without this.  This _is_ the same behavior as Solaris.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/