Subject: Re: sparc64 toolchain & NetBSD 1.5
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/09/2000 09:49:31
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, matthew green wrote:

: what should we do for the toolchain in NetBSD/sparc64 1.5 ?  the in-tree
: egcs & binutils aren't useful for building complete working (dynamic)
: programs.  egcs is so broken i disabled it building.  i'd like to do
: the same to binutils/ld/gas, just to avoid the subtle bugs that come
: from using the older (2.9*) binutils.

Past releases of some ports just barely reaching stable quality have shipped
an outsourced toolchain, including:

- pmax, 1.3 and 1.3.1
- arm32, 1.3.x
- alpha, 1.3.x

So if you need an outsourced toolchain in order to make a usable system,
while frowned upon, it's possible in a real pinch, with or without using the
BSD build structure.

: but all this means that the sparc64 port will have no compiler or the
: most of rest of the toolchain.  the code in gnu/dist/toolchain is mostly
: usable for sparc64 port today.

You will be able to use the build structure for the toolchain directory to
build binaries with an otherwise 1.5 build, once I have the reachover stuff
finished.  I'll get with you privately to discuss "what needs to be put
where" to make this work correctly.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/