Subject: Re: Quick libgcc question
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/01/2000 08:02:51
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Ben Harris wrote:

: Is there any policy on whether (and when) we should use the various
: arithmetic functions in libgcc2.c?  For instance, it has a __fixunssfsi()
: in it, which is needed for -msoft-float.  Should I arrange that this be
: built on soft-float systems, or should I provide one as part of libc?  If
: it were up to me, I'd probably use the libc one as it's likely to be more
: accurate.

We need to avoid putting more functions that are gcc-specific in libc, where
possible.  The quad stuff is pollution enough....  :-P

If you need it in order to support -msoft-float, and compiling libc does
_not_ generate references to it, simply enable its generation in libgcc,
unconditionally--it just won't be used by a program that doesn't need it.

If you have more questions, please take it offline with me, as I'm in the
middle of writing up the build structure for the newly imported gcc 2.95.2.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/