Subject: Re: deplibs lossage
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dole=E8ek?= <dolecek@ibis.cz>
From: None <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/07/2000 09:31:19
On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 11:50:42AM +0200, Jaromír Doleček wrote:
> is there any reason why ld on i386-elf doesn't look for hardcoded
> library paths in libraries it links programs against and doesn't
> automatically put them also into resulting binary ?

[rearranged]
> So apparently ld doesn't know about the paths hardcoded into libgd library.
	There aren't (shouldn't be) any hardcoded paths in libgd.

> eg. I have
> dolecek~ > ldd /usr/pkg/lib/libgd.so.1.9
	doesn't ldd use the contents of /etc/ld.so.conf when figuring
out where the libraries are?  I think the problem with the link is
that ld doesn't know about ld.so.conf so it doesn't know where to
look for the libraries that libgd is linked against.  How are you telling
it to grab libgd from /usr/pkg/bin?  -L/usr/pkg/lib?  That should allow
ld to grab at least the other libs from there (png, jpeg, ttf).

> And BTW, this whole -R/--rpath crap just plain sucks. We should do
> what SunOS does - hardcode all paths passed to -L by default,
> or only those specified by -R/--rpath if it was passed.
> Adjusting build of every program on the earth to pass the flags
> is highly annoying.
	That's what I said, but there was some resistance to doing it, so
I never got around to making it work that way.

eric