Subject: Re: NOTE: gcc 2.95 import soon
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 07/05/2000 11:22:50

>    And why not wait till 2.96 gets released?

I don't think there will be a 2.96.  The current plan is that the next
release will be 3.0.

>    I heard that there a lot of problems with 2.95.2, at least with the cpp.
>
> actually, the opposite is true.  gcc-current has horrible cpp bugs.

Part of the current development is a complete re-write of cpp so that it
can be seamlessly integrated into the compiler (rather than having to run
it as a separate tool).  This should make compilation faster and will
enable gcc to give more accurate diagnostics when errors occur (eg column
numbers).  Also, some debugging (eg in dwarf) should be able to see the
expansion of macros at execution time.  There will still be a separate cpp
program available, it's just that when compiling C/C++ code it won't be
used.

It is to be expected that in a project as major as this there will be
teething problems during development.

R.