Subject: Re: libtool and a.out
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/20/2000 14:55:19
On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
>
> : any comments if the below libtool change for a.out makes sense?
>
> Okay, what is this check supposed to show?  That a library is either static
> or shared?  (In that case, checking for '.a' vs. '.so*' should be fine,
> or if you're really anal about it, look for the !<arch>\n magic signature.)
>
> I really don't want to see a script depend solely on [arbitrary] strings
> output by file(1) as a determination method.  file(1) is NOT part of the
> ABI.

well part of the problem is I don't totally understand what this check is
supposed to show which is why I haven't made any changes.  I think it has
something to do with interlibrary dependencies, but I'm just not sure.

on ELF, currently it becomes:

# Method to check whether dependent libraries are shared objects.
deplibs_check_method="file_magic ELF [0-9][0-9]*-bit [LM]SB shared object"

# Command to use when deplibs_check_method == file_magic.
file_magic_cmd="/usr/bin/file"

and a.out:

# Method to check whether dependent libraries are shared objects.
deplibs_check_method="unknown"

# Command to use when deplibs_check_method == file_magic.
file_magic_cmd=""

-Dan