Subject: Re: arm26 toolchain issues
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/04/2000 18:19:43
On 4 May 2000, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> if arm26 is going to start out ELF, it should do so with the normal
> alignment (really, structure padding) used by other arm systems.

thorpej seemed to say that this would cause problems with some network
protocols.  How true is this?  Assuming the long-term aim is to get arm32
using the standard padding, testing it on arm26 first (where fewer people
will mind) is a good idea.

> (that'll make a.out vs. ELF compatibility ... very painful on arm32,
> but, well, the choice was made to do the wrong thing to avoid pain N
> years ago, and when paying for things like that you've often gotta
> include interest... 8-)

*grin*  I'd like to avoid that myself, so if the long-term aim is to
remove the kludge eventually, I'd prefer to try removing it now and accept
that more bizarre network protocols might be broken for a bit.

--
Ben Harris
Unix Support, University of Cambridge Computing Service.