Subject: arm26 toolchain issues
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/04/2000 13:24:24
There are a couple of toolchain issues that are going to need to be
resolved before NetBSD/arm26 can be considered a fully-fledged port (not
to mention all the non-toolchain problems, of course).  Here they are for
your perusal/comment.

GCC:

I'm currently using a mildly hacked GCC 2.95.2.  I don't think there are
any features it has over GCC 2.8.1 (which I was using until recently) that
I actually need, aside from ARM ELF support, which amounts to roughly one
file (gcc/config/arm/elf.h).  I don't think importing this into the NetBSD
GCC will be too painful.

I'm currently using the same structure-alignment rules as
NetBSD/arm32.  If anyone thinks I shouldn't, now would be a good time to
tell me so.

Binutils:

I'm currently using a recent Cygnus binutils snapshot (000413), since the
last released version (2.9.1) doesn't support ARM ELF.  I'm inclined to
suspect that backporting the ARM ELF stuff from a current binutils into
2.9.1 will be interesting.

I haven't actually attempted either of those backports yet -- getting my
new home machine into a state where it can commit things is more
important.

--
Ben Harris