Subject: Re: kernel compiles using objdir?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/28/2000 21:31:04
> Now I can't believe that we are all supposed to run "make release" on
> machines in 'insecure' mode or in single-user, so I'll assume this is
> a bug?

More likely it's just one of those things that portmasters have quietly
been hacking around for years, to avoid the (possibly loaded) question
of whether the default kernel configs should be insecure or not.

"make release" is a relatively recent invention and doesn't yet know all
the obscure tidbits that individual builders knew.

For 1.4.2 I had to specifically build a sparc kernel with INSECURE because
of this. Most ports' GENERIC kernels appear to already have INSECURE set,
probably for X servers.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com