Subject: Re: dl* functions on ELF platforms
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: T.SHIOZAKI <AoiMoe@imou.to>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/01/2000 02:54:11
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:45:15 -0500 (EST)

> : > Because the functions are needed to actually load libc.so ?
> : No, these "function interfaces" are not used to load libc.so.
> Specifically, ld.so (ELF and a.out) has the actual implementations.  Since
> programs do not link to ld.so, there are indirection symbols in crt0.

Quite so.  However, dl* functions do not necessarily have to be defined
in crt0.o .  They may be defined in libc, too.  On the other hand,
I pointed out that there is the problem if they are defined only in crt0.o .
Thus, I suggest them to move into libc.

I (and Makoto) want to know whether there is the special reason why
dl* functions have to be defined in crt0.o.  If there is no such reason,
and if there seems no problem in my patch, then I wish someone to commit
my patch to the NetBSD repository.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI - Chair of IMOU.
The I18n/M17n project On Unix environments (IMOU), Japan.