Subject: Re: libtool and -export-dynamic
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/12/2000 08:42:33
On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu said:
> > hmm.  I have not seen a problem with a.out in this regards.
> > % gcc -Wl,--export-dynamic -o hello hello.c
>
> Ah thanks - the version with double-dash is more portable
> obviously.
>
> Remains the question why pkglibtool gets it wrong.
> It is based on libtool-1.2. I've tried libtool-1.3.3 from
> pkgsrc/devel, and it seems to dtrt.

Cool, I was going to suggest that.

> So pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about pkglibtool?
> Why is it separate, and why do we have to stick with that old
> version?

According to tv, we should be able to update libtool to libtool-1.3.4
(and not glibtool-* ever again), and use that. The only problem
foreseen, will be that all the libtool packages will need to have the
".la" files added to their PLISTS. I could commit an update to the
package today, but IMO the churn should wait until after 1.4.2 is cut.
I've already offered to do it, but I don't want to be responsible for
breaking pkgsrc on the 1.4.2 CD!