Subject: Re: Cross compiling kernels
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/26/2000 21:59:06
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > [having a 'make environment' wrapper for cross compiling]
>
> I think having this as part of the cross-packages is good.

	Good to hear :)

> > 	b) Do we need per arch or per cpu - we only need one
> > 	   cross/m68k-netbsd package, but individual amiga-make etc
> > 	   wrapper that set MACHINE appropriately would be useful for
> > 	   compiling userland files?
>
> We probably need seperate ones, to get MACHINE right.

	No worries - maybe one per MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH, just because.

> Though I would recomend a slightly different file. Mine, which look almost
> the same, execute a shell rather than make. I had some sort of problems
> with make, but not with a shell script.
>
> Plus I added a little bit to make the prompt:
>
> foo.macppc>

	Could you send me a copy of yours?

	I'd probably go for a generic script that sets everything except
	MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH, as part of cross/cross-binutils, then
	a per MACHINE/MACHINE_ARCH wrapper. (or two wrappers if we want
	a 'shell env' vs 'make wrapper').

	Thoughts? any env additions to sakamoto's script?

		David/absolute